We're looking for a mid-level Rails engineer to join our small 7-person distributed team. You'll work directly with our co-founders and will be responsible for leading development on our growing portfolio of Shopify apps which help power thousands of online stores.
Our Rails engineer will be…
- Maintaining existing app compatibility and squashing bugs
- Adding new features to existing apps
- Building new apps from a collaborative spec
- Involved in reviewing, fixing, or building apps from collaborative spec
- Using best practices for Ruby development and following our internal code standards
- Proficient in Ruby / Rails, HTML / CSS / Sass (CoffeeScript and Slim are pluses)
- Excellent at communicating over chat and voice
- Providing top-tier customer support and service
- Able to travel for 1-2 team trips per year (next up, the Caribbean!)
- Competitive salary with additional performance incentives - a job well done deserves recognition
- Paid vacation time to make sure you get to unplug (3 weeks per year)
- Remote work with flexible hours (overlaps min 4 hrs/day with team in EST timezone)
- Health and dental insurance for US residents and their families
- Retirement plan with company match
- Hardware / software reimbursements
- Professional development opportunities and reimbursements
Sound great so far? Keep Reading!
- You are an experienced in building Rails apps
- You thrive working on projects usually involving the entire development team, with one engineer as project lead.
- You take pride in committing clean Ruby code to GitHub
- You love writing code that's clear, readable, and standards-compliant.
- More importantly, you appreciate how beautiful a solution is when any customer can use it.
- You look forward to working with people who love their work as much as you do.
- You're a self-starter. This should be obvious, but when we move, you move. And we move fast. We need someone that's excited about building and maintaining cool apps, is dependable, and is easy to work with.
- You're an excellent communicator, whether written, in person, or via video chat (native-level English fluency is required). You know that code is about communication and that explaining yourself clearly goes hand-in-hand.
You should be proficient in Ruby & building apps the Rails way, along with HTML/CSS/Sass. We also use CoffeeScript, Slim, and Bootstrap so familiarity with those is a plus. We deploy our apps to Heroku, use Sidekiq for background processing, and manage everything through GitHub.
Our team stays in touch primarily via Slack and Google Hangouts, so familiarity with any of these is helpful, but not required.
Important Position Details
This is a full-time position, but hours are flexible - we know your work will speak for itself with commits, issues closed, and wiki edits. However, fit with our team and culture is important, especially as we continue to grow.
Following an interview, we’ll ask for a quick sample project for which you’ll be paid as a contractor. If we both think the project went well, you’ll go through a 90-day ‘bootcamp’ as a 1099-employee before becoming a salaried employee. This lets us both make sure that we’re an ideal match, otherwise we can each say, “No thanks,” and move on to different projects.