Upworthy's mission is to draw massive amounts of attention to things that really matter. In our first two years, we've inspired millions of people to watch powerful videos about marriage equality, climate change, women's rights, bullying, and many other important topics.
Our content is already some of the most content on the web. But to make the kind of difference we want to make in the world, we need to go even further.
That's where you come in. We're expanding our engineering team and looking for a web engineer who want to write the best code of her or his life while making the world a better place.
Is This Job For You?
- Do you want to apply your skills to something that's genuinely meaningful and seen by millions of people?
- Are you already a pro at managing your own time and projects without someone looking over your shoulder?
- Do you wish you had the resources and buy-in to build systems and features the right way, instead of just the quickest way?
- Do you want to work on a team that is more powerful than the sum of its parts? Is reviewing your colleagues' code just as important to you as writing your own code?
If you answered "Yes" to the above, this might be the job for you!
- You're a mid-career professional. You're not a veteran but neither are you just getting started. You've got at least a few years of work behind you — Now you're searching for a mid-level job that will take your skills and experience to the next level.
We're especially interested in candidates who have:
- Experience with one or more modern data storage systems such as Redis, Redshift, MongoDB, etc.
- Experience building or working with online publishing industry technology such as ad servers and content management systems.
- Community involvement such as publishing a gem, maintaining a blog, and maybe even speaking at conferences.
Compensation & Perks
- Competitive salary and equity. We're mission-driven, but we're also a well-funded for-profit venture. You'll receive equity shares in the company.
- Work from anywhere in a US time zone. Upworthy has no central office: We collaborate entirely online. You can work from home or a coworking office, and you can live basically anywhere with Internet, so long as you're available during most normal US working hours. (Expect to be traveling 2-3 weeks each year to meet your coworkers in person.)
- Take vacation when you need it. We ask employees to take three weeks of vacation per year — at minimum. We even give you a vacation bonus to encourage you to take a really nice one. When you're off, we want you to really be off, so you can recharge and come back fresh.
- Stay healthy. All employees have excellent health insurance benefits. We offer generous parental leave.
At Upworthy, we believe that the diversity of ideas, experiences and cultures that our employees contribute to our company is our greatest advantage, and we are proud to be an inclusive and equal-opportunity workplace, where all applicants and employees are considered for hire, promotion and job status without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, or physical handicap.
As soon as possible.