Your mission is to scale and maintain a stable, world-class SaaS infrastructure while meeting the needs of a young, fast-growing business. Opscode is building the best systems integration and automation platform on the planet, and our growing community expects us to lead the way with operational excellence.
Naturally, this position requires crack hands-on operations skills. The Senior Systems Administrator plans, coordinates, manages, and troubleshoots the Opscode computer system infrastructure; provides technical advice to Development and non-technical teams; designs and architects solutions; and also mentors and trains any junior system administrators.
Opscode follows DevOps, and this role will work closely with Developers to perform all functions and responsibilities in making the production environment stable and scalable. The ideal candidate will be highly motivated and self-driven, capable of working with little instruction to resolve demanding tasks working with internal teams.
We offer a competitive salary, equity for all, solid benefits, telecommuting, flextime, a variety of interesting projects, an open and funky downtown office on lots of bus lines, and brilliant co-workers.
- Works effectively in a team/Agile environment to monitor, log, resolve, and escalate any issues with Opscode’s development, test, or production environments/servers.
- Maintains the production and non-production environments with the goal of making continuous improvements to reliability, serviceability, and availability
- Manages a queue of support tickets and troubleshoots complex problems as they arise
- Provides 24×7 support for all production environments as a third tier expert escalation point
- Follows the established operations procedures to ensure timely resolution or escalation of operations issues. The Senior SysAdmin distinguishes himself or herself from a non-senior position by displaying technical leadership, unflagging initiative and a desire to continually grow and improve the infrastructure.
- Integrates code/requests/input from engineering into the production and pre-production environments
- Interacts on a daily basis with Development and other departments in order to resolve complex projects and problem resolution.
- Leads high visibility/value projects with a high degree of autonomy.
- Prioritizes projects and daily planned work to achieve the highest degree of success while managing competing demands
- Continually looks for opportunities to develop solutions through automation; participates in teams dedicated to continuous improvement/integration/deployment
- Assists in the selection of candidates when operations knowledge is required, either by reviewing resumes, or by screening and/or interviewing candidates.
- Extensive management and configuration of open source web servers (apache and nginx).
- Extensive management and configuration of open source database servers (MySQL and PostgreSQL)
- Demonstrated mastery of debugging mutli-tiered network-based applications, expert debugging abilities with standard Unix toolset (strace, lsof, vmstat, iostat, netstat, traceroute, ping)
- Experience managing open source monitoring toolchains (nagios, munin, graphite, zabbix, zenoss, sensu, etc)
- Linux based HA experience (heartbeat, keepalived, pacemaker, etc)
- Proficiency in at least one scripting language (Ruby, Python, Perl, Lua)
- Configuration management of servers and virtual hosts (Chef, Puppet, CFEngine)
- Detailed understanding of basic networking protocols: IP, TCP, HTTP, SSL, DNS, etc
- Configuration of load balancers and firewalls
- Cisco IOS experience configuring switches and routers or desire to learn
- Configuration and Management of enterprise server hardware (Dell OMSA/DRAC, HP ILO/hpacucli, IPMI, etc)
- Internal cloud and virtualization experience (Openstack, KVM)
- Expert Unix System Administration skills with a Linux (Ubuntu/RedHat/CentOS) focus
- Experience with heterogeneous Unix environments (Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, etc) a plus
- Ability to integrate these skills at scale across hundreds of server images and dozens of services
- Some configuration management platform experience
- Excellent problem solving skills and a desire to exercise and grow these skills on a daily basis
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate solutions and execute on proof of concepts
- Ability to interface on a daily basis with engineering team, support team and management
- Highly proficient at self-directing and self-initiating work
- Demonstrated ability to own the engineering, design, and deployment decisions for a project, including solid, reliable and up-to-date documentation
- Ability to leverage and mentor others through technical leadership
- An associate or bachelor’s degree in computer science, or equivalent experience.
- Very significant Linux system administration experience required, 10+years preferred
- Experience with Chef a big plus
- Extensive project management experience in a SysAdmin or similar role
- A demonstrated progression of technical leadership