Working at Advomatic
Build websites and online tools for progressive organizations with us! We are technical specialists who focus on honing our craft. We use an iterative development process and don't skimp on quality.
We are more than just a development shop; our staff chooses to work for Advomatic because of our commitment to strengthening the progressive movement through awesomely powerful websites.
We are active in the world of open source technology and we make time for professional development and contributions. We encourage our developers to put what they’ve learned into practice. We have a beautiful office in downtown Manhattan, and much of our team also works remotely. We have a generous vacation policy and offer flexible work hours.
If this sounds like a place you’d like to work, read on…
Technical Leads at Advomatic are responsible for technical oversight of web and application development projects from the planning stage through implementation, as well as ongoing support.
The Technical Lead gathers and synthesizes information from clients and members of the Advomatic team to define a project's specifications. The Lead then maintains a holistic view of the requirements and project goals throughout the development phase, working with the team to implement the requirements while providing high level technical guidance.
As a Technical Lead, you would:
- Work with the Director of Web Development to qualify projects and estimate work at a high level for proposals.
- Provide technical feedback and guidance during the planning and design phase of projects.
- Assess project needs against current tools and trends in Drupal, and the wider world of web development.
- Distil ideas from clients, content strategists, and designers into a list of prioritized requirements, define initial solutions, and summarize technical implementation tasks.
- Provide accurate initial and ongoing estimates of remaining work effort.
- Ensure that implementation plans are technically consistent and efficient.
- Provide guidance to the development team during implementation.
- Monitor high risk tasks and scope change against the original specifications.
- Coordinate code reviews and deployment tasks.
Support existing clients via Advomatic’s support ticket system.
- Run security updates for Drupal core and contrib.
- Work with the rest of the development team, project managers, Technical Manager, and Director of Web Development to implement and improve new tools.
You should have most of these qualities:
- Experience working on web-based projects, preferably as a team lead.
- 2+ years working with Drupal.
- Superior communication skills (especially written) with an ability to translate complex technical concepts to non-technical clients.
- Experience translating wireframes and design comps into Drupal-specific features.
- Experience creating consistent and accurate estimates.
- Attention to detail. Please start your cover letter/pitch with “Dear Advoteam,” when applying.
- Strong self-management skills with the ability to organize and manage multiple priorities.
- Located in a timezone shared with the continental United States.
It would be great if you had a few of these qualities, too:
- Experience in client service agencies or building web sites for advocacy organizations.
- Experience working with virtual teams.
- Experience with agile development methodologies like Consultancy Scrum or Behaviour Driven Development (BDD).
- Contributing to and playing an active role in the Drupal community.
- An excellent sense of humor.
- Additional CMS experience, in addition to Drupal.
This posting is open to individuals interested in full-time employment. Contractors, web agencies, or employment firms need not apply.