WARNING! This job is awaiting verification or has expired and may no longer be applicable
This role is part of Canonical's Systems Administrator team with responsibility for all operational IT systems throughout the Company. This is a fast paced senior-level position, responsible for maintaining expert-level knowledge of all that we run. We are a group of primarily distributed, home-based systems administrators, directly running all Canonical and Ubuntu services. With a wide variety of both internal and public web services, our infrastructure (and team) needs to be world-class. We're looking for experienced senior systems administrators who are passionate about Ubuntu and open source software.
You will be part of a squad of systems administrators that rotate between three roles.
- Maintaining all core services and networks including deployment and administration of our private clouds
- Working directly with a wide variety of development teams within Canonical in a devops role to test, deploy, monitor and maintain services running on our production cloud. This will require an overlap of development and administration skills, as you help write and review code you will then use to deploy and maintain services using Canonical's cloud products
- Larger project work, currently heavily focused on cloud-based projects. This involves bootstraping new cloud instances with complex HA, networking and scalability requirements, as well as designing and implementing services for the developers and administrators of projects running within these cloud instances.
Required skills, experience and abilities
- Extensive systems administration experience in a high availability environment managing large deployments
- Practical knowledge of IP networking, routing and firewalls
- Experience administering infrastructure services such as DNS, DHCP, TFTP, SMTP, HTTP etc.
- Strong security focus including knowledge of network, operating system and application level practices
- Strong scripting ability, preferably in Python and shell
- Heavy focus on automation, preferably with configuration management or service orchestration tools
- Familiarity with software development and code review practices, including use of DVCS
- Experience deploying, administering and maintaining services in a cloud computing environment
- Familiarity with Ubuntu or Debian
- Able to communicate clearly in English, especially using email and IRC
- Must be self-driven and able to troubleshoot, ask others when appropriate and find answers
- Must be motivated and organised; capable of working from home and being highly productive
- Able to participate in our weekend on call rotation approximately 1 weekend every 18 weeks
Desirable skills and Experience
- Knowledge of Openstack, Juju and MAAS
- Experience with LXC, KVM, QEMU and Xen
- Prior experience working from home and/or working with a distributed team
- Application Info
Please sign in with Google or
GitHub to view this job's application information.
This is necessary to prevent companies from receiving excessive amounts of spam.
Tramcar - Toronto-Waterloo Region Corridor Jobs