We're looking for an experienced Operations Engineer to play an integral operations role at Disqus. The ideal person is obsessed with uptime and site speed and has years of experience with server hardware and Linux systems. At the same time, you are passionate about working with development engineers to get more done faster with less trouble. You'll be working at our office in San Francisco. Disqus reaches over 1 billion unique visitors a month. You'll be working on large scale challenges immediately as well as make a huge, lasting impact on all technical decisions.
What You'll Do
- Work with our server-side infrastructure, including configuring Linux systems (e.g. packaging) and dealing with hardware.
- Participation in 24/7 on-call rotation (be available by phone or email in case something goes wrong)
- Troubleshoot issues with hardware, software, applications and network
- Work with engineers on product decisions and troubleshooting, but primarily work independently
- Help improve the development organization’s ability to rapidly and safely deploy code
- Participate in architecting and building our systems for maximum productivity and scalability
What We're Looking For
- Proven ability to build large, reliable, scalable infrastructure -- you've directly contributed to scaling a highly-trafficked website or web application
- Extensive knowledge of Linux (we use Ubuntu and Debian) and 5+ years of system administrator experience
- PostgreSQL, Slony, pgbouncer; also non-relational such as Cassandra
- Nginx, HAProxy, Varnish, Memcached
- Knowledge of shell scripting and Python (familiarity with Django is a plus)
- A relevant university degree is great, but we care more about industry experience and knowledge
- Previous work experience in a startup environment
- Previous experience with a development focused operations team
What is Disqus?
Disqus is a free service that enables great online communities. As the web’s most popular discussion system, Disqus is used by 3 million websites that cover pretty much any topic imaginable. Our magic is in connecting people to stuff worth talking about.
Who We Are
Disqus is a fast-growing team making a big impact. We’re a group of hackers and tech geeks who love the web and believe that better communities will make an even better web. We believe in amazing user experiences, well-designed code, and fast, iterative development.
We go above and beyond when it comes to thinking outside of the box to solve problems creatively. We're driven to learn and implement new technologies, and figure how to scale them to accommodate our massive scale. Are you up for the challenge of building an application that supports 50,000+ requests per second, and 4MM active concurrent connections to our realtime stream? Then join us.
We love what we do, and we love the team we’ve built.
We're a small team that gets a lot done and has a lot of fun along the way. All full-time employees of Disqus receive the same great benefits:
- Competitive salaries and stock options
- Daily catered lunch and fully stocked snacks, drinks, and beer
- Weekly in-office yoga and massage
- Apple computers and a generous equipment policy
- Flexible hours, so you can be at your most productive
- Generous paid time off and holidays
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plan options
- 401(k) plan, pre-tax commuter benefits, employee assistance program and flex spending accounts
- Convenient office location in SOMA near public transit (blocks from BART, Muni, Caltrain) and parking
- Friendly, casual office environment with plenty of toys (foosball, ping pong, video games, and more)