Location of this job is Tucson, AZ, Goshen, IN, or Remote.
What is Haiku Learning?
Haiku Learning is about community, and that includes our company’s community of creators, evangelists and visionaries. Right now we’re looking for a talented communicator & process-driven people-person who is passionate about great software, smart teamwork, and doing good in the world. We are a technology company that is passionate about the technology, but even more passionate about making tools that transform learning.
Why Haiku Learning is one of the best places to work on the planet:
- You get to promote learning spaces that change lives.
- You get to work with teachers and education technologists - some of the smartest, most amazing people from the leading schools and educational programs in the world.
- You have flexibility to live your life. We know you have hobbies, interests, and families. We want you to love what you do, but not live what you do.
If you like people, are passionate about education, and the following list describes you, we want to hear from you.
- 5+ years of full-time experience designing digital interfaces
- Strong knowledge of modern CSS, JQuery, SASS/LESS, Bootstrap or Symantec UI a plus
- Impeccable visual design skills
- Proficiency with image editing & vector based toolset of your choice
- Insatiable curiosity for learning
- Excellent command of verbal and written English
Senior UX Designer Primary Responsibilities
As the Senior Product Designer at Haiku Learning, you will be involved in every aspect of the product development process, from helping us envision the next great product innovation to tweaking pixels right before launch. You will be expected to utilize your full range of product design, interaction design, and visual design skills. The position requires someone who has specific experience creating web applications, not someone who has created dozens of marketing web sites. Haiku Learning has long had a passion for simplicity of design, and thus this position demands a designer with clear design vision, aesthetic, and the skills to solve complex interaction challenges.
Oversee Design Strategy and Standards
- Develop an ongoing strategy for bringing greater usability, delight, and beauty into Haiku Learning products.
- Play an integral part in the growth of Haiku Learning by developing a keen understanding of our customers, product history, and business challenges.
- Maintain and evolve UX standards and frameworks for the Product team across our Web application, and iOS, Android and Windows 8 apps.
- Give and solicit feedback from other designers in order to continually raise our bar for quality.
- Partner with Quality Assurance to set and test usability standards for all products within the company.
Design Prototypes for User Experience and Interaction Design
- Design flows and experiences that are incredibly simple and elegant.
- Assist in defining user interfaces for new and existing products and features.
- Produce a variety of design deliverables to clearly communicate design intent in the best way you deem possible. This may include wireframes, written specifications, interactive prototypes, and pixel-perfect mockups.
- Gauge the usability of new and existing products, and making constructive suggestions for change.
- Develop product prototypes using modern web-based technologies.
Assist with Design-related Development
- Work closely with our development team to ensure design and UX are appropriately prioritized and executed during product development.
- Partner with management, engineers, and researchers to oversee the user experience of a product from conception until launch (and then some).
- Support development efforts by authoring production-ready front-end code and teaching best practices.
Investigate Design Efficacy
- Interface regularly with Client Services and Business Development Departments to keep abreast of K-12 customer (admins, parents, teachers, and students) issues and needs. Be a strong advocate for the user. Embody empathy.
- Collect, analyze, and make use of feedback from a variety of sources, including the development team, customer support, business stakeholders, and actual users.
- Take broad, conceptual ideas and turn them into something useful and valuable for our team for future design enhancements.
If you’re interested, send us:
- Why you want to work for Haiku Learning
- Proof of your abilities
- Stories, links, and so on -- something that conveys your competence
- A resume, if you want