Veeqo is an award winning high growth tech startup company which has customers around the world and an ambition to become the best software platform for online retailers to manage their business. It helps online retailers sync their stock between their website, retail stores and marketplaces like eBay and Amazon.
Veeqo is growing at an astonishing 300% per year and is expanding globally. Joining Veeqo is a unique opportunity to get involved in a world class start up. Our company is based in London and Swansea and is expanding internationally rapidly ( US, Germany …)
We need a mid-level Ruby backend developer. In our team, you will grow your skills faster than in any other team; you will learn from the best senior engineers. You will get your code right into production very quickly and see real impact — a task in our team is not complete until a problem of a user is solved in reality.
We have offices in London, Swansea and shortly Cardiff but some of our team prefer to work remote, which we fully support.
After working with us for some time you will:
- Know Ruby better than the average Ruby programmer. You will know what implicit context is, the difference between ‘self’ and ‘default definee’ and when exactly these two don’t match. Soon you will know which race conditions are possible despite GIL and what "metaclass of eigenclass is eigenclass of metaclass" really means.
- Contribute to open-source projects and develop your Github account.
- Be able to work in a distributed team and become a geographically independent programmer.
- Juggle git objects with ease and consider even interactive rebases as a daily routine.
- Know how to monitor production servers and identify real-life problems.
In short, after 2-3 years of working with us you will be much more valuable on the labour market. We specialise in fast growth of junior and middle developers. But don’t forget that greater reward comes with greater risk:
Who are you ?
- You're very enthusiastic about programming and have a passion to learn more
- Ambition and eagerness to learn and improve
- You want to build a career in a global company
- You thrive in a fast-growing, always-changing environment
- You want to be challenged every day
Technical prerequisites for this job
- Be confident in the Ruby language, some metaprogramming is required
- Know how to use RSpec, have a habit of test-driven development
- Have enough knowledge of Ruby on Rails framework, be able to write a simple CRUD app without googling
- Know basic git operations
Our backend technology stack
- Ruby as an imperative language
- Elixir as a functional language
- Rails and Phoenix as web frameworks
- Postgres as a relational database
- Redis and Memcache as key-value storages
- RabbitMQ and Redis as message queueing solutions
What do we (as a development team) practice:
- TDD (obviously)
- Continuous integration
- Continuous delivery
- Infrastructure as code
- Well-defined planning process
- Regular team retrospectives
- Annual budget for going to conferences or training in Europe
- Spotify Premium, Private GP and Gym Membership
- Share option
- Be part of a fast growth start-up and make a difference
- We are a relatively small team, your contribution will be significant
- Our workflow and practices are based on shared culture rather than on red tape
- Learn more in a few years at Veeqo than you will in any other job
- Work in a friendly, cross-functional team, with people who aim to be the best and love to tackle problems
- Relaxed and flexible work environment with free hot and cold drinks, Spotify Premium, private GP and gym membership
- Remote first - we believe in quality of work, not sitting in an office for 8 hours
- Explicitly allocated time every week to learn new technologies and hack
- “The No Asshole” rule is applied