WARNING! This job is awaiting verification or has expired and may no longer be applicable
The Wikimedia Engineering team is looking for a skilled Infrastructure and Operations Engineer that would love to keep our global top 5 web site fast and highly available. We employ open source solutions for solving complex problems autonomously. As part of the operations team you will work with other engineering teams as well as our volunteer community. As an Operations Engineer you will be designing, developing, implementing and improving the Wikimedia technical infrastructure. This team is the backbone of all of our projects essential to maintaining the security, scalability and availability of our web properties.
- Work on large infrastructure projects, from research and design to implementation and maintenance
- Server and service deployments, server and database installations and configuration management
- Improve automation tools and processes to support development and deployment
- Participate in planning meetingsand support intradepartmental coordination
- Optimization, monitoring and maintenance of systems including security response and database administration
- Emergency response to system outages
- Writing and updating internal documentation of systems and processes
- Troubleshoot site outages and performance issues including on-call response
- 5 years of professional experience in a DevOps, software engineering or Site Reliability role
- Relevant hands-on experience and eagerness to learn and try new concepts with the ability to learn quickly
- Experience with systems programming and development in scripting languages such as Python, PHP, Ruby, Perl
- Experience with configuration management systems and concepts (e.g. puppet, chef, cfengine)
- Experience with operating system distribution packaging systems (e.g. dpkg, RPM)
- Experience with large web site application architectures, including caching layers (memcached, Varnish, Squid, HTTP caching) and storage scaling concepts
- Experience with internal infrastructure systems and concepts, e.g. DNS, NTP, LDAP
- Experience using monitoring tools (ganglia, nagios, etc.)
- Able to work independently where needed, and can work effectively as part of a globally distributed team
- You are a proficient English speaker
- Bachelors (or equivalent Education) or equivalent work experience
- Experience with network administration (device setup, VLANs, BGP/OSPF routing, high availability protocols)
- Knowledge of systems and network security issues and trends
- Experience with systems programming languages and debugging/profiling tools (C, gdb, strace, oprofile, etc.)
- Understanding of the Open Source projects and tools
- Experience working with online volunteers
Show us your stuff! Please provide us with information you feel would be useful to us in gaining a better understanding of your technical your background and accomplishments. Links to GitHub, personal web pages, projects, etc. are exceptionally useful. We especially appreciate pointers to open source projects of which you are particularly proud of.
The Wikimedia Foundation got its start in 2003 and is the non-profit organization that operates Wikipedia. Based in San Francisco California we currently employ 150 staff members globally. The Wikimedia Foundation is committed to creating a world in which every single human being can freely and easily share in the sum of all knowledge. Wikipedia and our other projects operated by the Wikimedia Foundation receive nearly 500 million unique visitors per month making them the 5th most popular web property worldwide. Wikipedia is available in 282 languages, contains more than 21 million articles contributed by a global volunteer community of more than 100,000 people. In an effort to continue our mission we are hiring talented and creative individuals to join the team.
- Application Info
Please sign in with Google or
GitHub to view this job's application information.
This is necessary to prevent companies from receiving excessive amounts of spam.
San Francisco or Remote
Tramcar - Toronto-Waterloo Region Corridor Jobs