Inktank provides support and consulting services for Ceph, an open-source distributed storage platform. Storage Consultants are part of the Professional Services department. They travel to Inktank customer sites (travel required up to 70%, depending on location of assignments) to assist in the design and implementation of storage solutions for public or private cloud clouds. Inktank’s customers are organizations at the bleeding edge of technology, building some of the most exciting, but complex, high-performance, mission-critical storage systems on the planet. The work ranges from designing, architecting and documenting storage solutions that meet the customer requirements, delivery of implementation services such as installation and configuration, as well as troubleshooting. They are motivated, talented problem solvers and keen team players that can also work effectively in isolation. Consultants also deliver customer training and represent Inktank at public forums such as trade shows, exhibitions, and conferences.
Based on the customer demands, the duties may include software development assignments, QA work to debug incoming problems, resolve with end users, and clearly document and report changes/bugs. Most work will revolve around storage, networking, distributed systems, and file systems projects.
- Represents Inktank in interactions with customers and makes sure that engagements are delivered to highest levels of satisfaction.
- Engages customers for requirements analysis, documents business use case, and prioritizes requirements, designs custom-tailored storage solutions with Ceph
- Develops designs for storage architectures of varying scale
- Has some understanding of file systems, open source software, storage domain, programming in C++, hardware/software inter-dependency. The company will train in areas that are deficient.
- During downtime, participates in handling customer support tickets. Investigates and resolves computer software and hardware problems of users.
- Answers questions by applying knowledge of Ceph system sophisticated processes.
- Works with engineering department with clear communication as to problems and solutions.
Knowledge & Experience
- Experience with popular Cloud Operating Systems, such as OpenStack, Eucalyptus, CloudStack, and associated technologies such as Chef, and Jenkins.
- Familiarity with Open Source development tools, culture and development processes
- Familiarity with RESTful web services, potentially in the context of storage technology, such as Amazon S3, or OpenStack Swift
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related subject
- Three years of experience in technical support or within a consulting organization
- Three years of experience in software development with C++, or Python
- Ability to explain technical matters in an easy-to-understand, step-by-step manner.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Able to document software specifications and write technical papers and reports (including code bug reporting).
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Ability to speak publically and train small groups, using the Inktank courseware material
- Ability to work autonomously and in diverse, virtual team environments.
- Ability to perform well under pressure.
- Commitment to quality and a thorough approach to the work.
- Ability to work alone on a broad variety of hosting related subjects.
- Great communication skills with customers, supervisors and peers.
- Ability to maintain patience with difficult customers.
- Ability to establish and maintain healthy working relationships with people in course of work.
- Strong level of influence and negotiation skills.
- Ability to deliver effective results.
- Ability to motivate and empower others to reach organizational goals.
Inktank is a professional services and support company, founded in 2012 by several creators of the open source project Ceph. Ceph delivers object, block and file system storage with unlimited scalability (up to petabytes and even exabytes) while having the ability to run on commodity hardware.
At Inktank, we believe our work has tremendous potential to transform the storage industry. Ceph was created to help organizations decrease storage costs, and increase operational flexibility by freeing them from expensive, restrictive, proprietary storage systems.
Our mission is to empower businesses through Ceph.
Inktank is an Equal Opportunity Employer