Inktank provides support and services for Ceph, an open-source distributed object and file storage technology. The role of the Support Engineer as part of the Professional Services department is to provide the first line of support for Ceph, close interaction with customers and their complete satisfaction, in-depth understanding of technical aspects of Ceph. These duties include some software development, some QA work to debug incoming problems, resolve with end users, and clearly document and report changes/bugs. Most work will revolve around storage, networking, distributed systems, and file systems projects.
To provide technical assistance to Ceph users who are experiencing problems with provided service or who have questions about how to use our systems features.
Responsibilities and Experience
- Investigates and resolves computer software and hardware problems of users.
- Answers emails from users who have issues or suggestions with products.
- Documents and uses ticketing software to follow the project from start to finish successfully.
- Provides first line of support as a level 3 technician who resolves all support issues in a quick, efficient, and satisfactory fashion.
- Provide chat and phone support to customers with questions, problems, comments or suggestions.
- Call customers with callback requests for assistance with our service.
- Talks to users to learn what procedures they followed and to discover the source of the difficulty.
- Answers questions by applying knowledge of Ceph system sophisticated processes.
- Works with engineering department with clear communication as to problems and solutions.
- Asks customer with problem to participate in diagnostic procedures, by using diagnostic software, or by listening to and following instructions.
- Determine the source of the problem and work to resolve it.
- Has some understanding of file systems, open source software, storage domain, programming in C++, hardware/software inter-dependency. The company will train in areas that are deficient.
Knowledge & Experience
- Three years of experience in technical support.
- One year of experience in software development with C++.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related subject preferred.
- Ability to explain technical matters in an easy-to-understand, step-by-step manner.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Able to document software specifications and write technical papers and reports (including code bug reporting).
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Able to work autonomously and in diverse, virtual team environments.
- Ability to manage and deliver on multiple support tickets at same time.
- Ability to type 50 wpm.
- Flexible attitude, ability to perform under pressure.
- A commitment to quality and a thorough approach to the work.
- Able to work alone on a broad variety of hosting related subjects.
- Great communication skills with customers, supervisors and peers.
- Ability to maintain patience with difficult customers.
- Able to establish and maintain healthy working relationships with people in course of work.
- Strong level of influence and negotiation skills.
- Able to deliver effective results.
- Good judgment and decision-making skills.
- Able to motivate and empower others to reach organizational goals.
- Shifts starts: 9am
- Overtime and working on holidays may be required.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and other devices and objects.
- Physically able to participate in sessions, presentations, and meetings.
- Weekend work could be required.
Inktank is a professional services and support company, founded in 2012 by several creators of the open source project Ceph. Ceph delivers object, block and file system storage with unlimited scalability (up to petabytes and even exabytes) while having the ability to run on commodity hardware.
At Inktank, we believe our work has tremendous potential to transform the storage industry. Ceph was created to help organizations decrease storage costs, and increase operational flexibility by freeing them from expensive, restrictive, proprietary storage systems.
Our mission is to empower businesses through Ceph.
Inktank is an Equal Opportunity Employer