At Upworthy, our mission is to lift up stuff that matters using social media. We look for visual content that is both meaningful and shareable (that's the definition of “Upworthy”) and curate the things that have the best chance of going viral. In our first year and a half, we've inspired millions to watch great videos about standing up to bullies, getting young girls excited about engineering, holding big banks accountable, and dozens of other important topics.
By some measures, we're one of the fastest-growing media sites in history. But to make the kind of difference we want to make in the world, we need to go even further.
That's where you come in. We're expanding our engineering team and looking for junior engineers who want to master their craft while making the world a better place.
Is This Job For You?
- Do you want to apply your skills to work on something that's genuinely meaningful and seen by millions of people?
- Are you looking for an opportunity where you can become a better software engineer and learn how a high-traffic site is built?
- Does the prospect of hitting the ground running on high-traffic Ruby on Rails and Node.js apps excite you?
- Are you humbled by all that you don't yet know but really want the opportunity to figure it all out?
If you answered "Yes" to the above, this might be the job for you!
Skills & Experience
- A bachelor's degree in computer science or a similar field, or the equivalent work experience. You've graduated recently or have some industry experience with Rails, Django, or Node.js.
- Git and GitHub. You've worked with version control and cloned repos from GitHub, but you realize there's still a whole lot to learn.
Compensation & Perks
- Competitive salary and equity. We're mission-driven, but we're also a well-funded for-profit venture. You'll receive equity shares in the company.
- Work from anywhere. Upworthy has no central office: We collaborate entirely online. You can work from home or a coworking office, and you can live basically anywhere with Internet. Hours are flexible.
- Take vacation when you need it. We ask employees to take three weeks of vacation per year — at minimum. We even give you a vacation bonus to encourage you to take a really nice one. When you're off, we want you to really be off, so you can recharge and come back fresh.
- Stay healthy. All employees have excellent health insurance benefits.
We offer generous parental leave.
At Upworthy, we believe that the diversity of ideas, experiences and cultures that our employees contribute to our company is our greatest advantage, and we are proud to be an inclusive and equal-opportunity workplace, where all applicants and employees are considered for hire, promotion and job status without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, or physical handicap.
As soon as possible.