WHO ARE WE?
General Assembly is a venture-backed, NYC-based startup focusing on education for individuals and enterprises in the areas of technology, design, and entrepreneurship. We currently have physical classrooms in 8 cities across 4 continents, with tens of thousands of students coming through our doors.
SEEKING Engineering Lead
We currently have two Engineering Lead openings, one focused on E-commerce (Product Discovery, Personalization, and Funnel Optimization) and the other on Retail Systems (Data Warehouse, Analytics, CRM). Each role would inherit a team consisting of 3-5 developers and be paired with a designer and a product manager.
Some example products:
- Product recommendations via collaborative filtering can have a massive impact on conversion. A successful product would be built in a way that is maximally accurate and reusable in various contexts (email marketing, homepage widgets, upsell from other classes).
- Discovery is important to get right as many of our visitors aren't sure of what they want or need. Many different products could help here: Recently Viewed Items, Search, a quiz-based "Personal Shopper", etc.
- We currently receive thousands of inquiries per month about the long-form courses we offer in 8 cities on 4 continents. A successful product would be used by dozens of course & admissions producers worldwide as well as regional directors and scale to thousands of leads per day.
- The CEO and members of the senior management team need effective metrics dashboards to best make strategic decisions about the company. A successful product would calculate and update in real-time with predictive bands, and do so without affecting performance of production systems.
- We currently have had tens of thousands of students come through our doors and over the next several years will grow that number to hundreds of thousands. A successful product would have an architecture that will scale with the growth of the company and correctly identifies which areas to be flexible and which to be explicitly structured.
- Work with the PM to create a product roadmap at the 3-6 month level, translate that roadmap into a backlog, and manage the day-to-day technical execution to launch the right product at the right time with the right quality.
- Act as lead developer on projects, making substantial code and architecture contributions. At least 50% of your time will be spent writing code.
- Mentor less experienced developers by understanding where they can improve and effectively assist them in career development.
- Apply a deep understanding of software development best practices to identify areas where the team can improve, and successfully implement those improvements with full support of the team. Examples include: release process, testing, on-call, infrastructure and provisioning.
- Review other teams’ systems and solutions, providing constructive feedback that raises the overall quality of General Assembly technology.
We’re looking for:
- An individual very comfortable doing full-stack Ruby on Rails development - we can throw you at anything and you can make it happen. Front-end, back-end, spinning up EC2 instances, etc.
- An individual with fluency in SQL and building database driven software.
- An individual with deep knowledge of design patterns, systems engineering, algorithms, scalability, and the judgment to know when it matters and when not to over-engineer.
- A collaborator who enjoys leading a team of other engineers and working with a designer and a product manager to make something come to life.
- A pragmatist who understands the tradeoffs one needs to make between features, performance, scalability, and time to market depending on the situation.
- A customer-focused thinker who wants a say in what gets built and whose ideas come from starting with the customer and working backwards.
- A great communicator who really understands how to manage, mentor, and motivate a team.
Position is full-time with competitive salary, stock options and great benefits. NYC or Remote. Benefits include: 401k, iPhone (or equivalent) + cell plan, Macbook Air + Thunderbolt monitor, medical + dental + vision insurance, MTA transit credit and 50% discounted gym membership (if NYC).