WHO ARE WE?
General Assembly is a venture-backed, NYC-based startup focusing on education for individuals and enterprises in the areas of technology, design, and entrepreneurship. We currently have physical classrooms in 8 cities across 4 continents, with tens of thousands of students coming through our doors.
SEEKING Software Engineer
We're currently hiring for several engineering positions across all three dev teams: E-commerce, Retail Systems, and Online Education & Community. You would be part of a team consisting of 3-5 developers, a designer (who codes front-end), and a product manager.
Some example products:
- Product recommendations via collaborative filtering can have a massive impact on conversion. A successful product would be built in a way that is maximally accurate and reusable in various contexts (email marketing, homepage widgets, upsell from other classes).
- Discovery is important to get right as many of our visitors aren't sure of what they want or need. Many different products could help here: Recently Viewed Items, Search, a quiz-based "Personal Shopper", etc.
- We currently receive thousands of inquiries per month about the long-form courses we offer in 8 cities on 4 continents. A successful product would be used by dozens of course & admissions producers worldwide as well as regional directors and scale to thousands of leads per day.
- The CEO and members of the senior management team need effective metrics dashboards to best make strategic decisions about the company. A successful product would calculate and update in real-time with predictive bands, and do so without affecting performance of production systems.
- We currently have had tens of thousands of students come through our doors and over the next several years will grow that number to hundreds of thousands. A successful product would have an architecture that will scale with the growth of the company and correctly identifies which areas to be flexible and which to be explicitly structured.
- Building a community online for our tens of thousands of students, alumni, and mentors can have a tremendous impact. A successful product will combine emotional design, smart product decisions, and a scalable architecture that can handle lots of concurrent transactions and lots of data.
We’re looking for:
- An individual very comfortable doing full-stack development - we can throw you at anything and you can make it happen. Front-end, back-end, spinning up EC2 instances, etc.
- An individual with fluency in SQL and building database driven software.
- An individual with deep knowledge of design patterns, systems engineering, algorithms, scalability, and the judgment to know when it matters and when not to over-engineer.
- A collaborator who enjoys working on a team with other engineers, a designer, and a product manager to make something come to life.
- A pragmatist who understands the tradeoffs one needs to make between features, performance, scalability, and time to market depending on the situation.
- A customer-focused thinker who wants a say in what gets built and whose ideas come from starting with the customer and working backwards.
This is a full-time position in our offices in NYC or remote. We provide great pay and excellent benefits, including free iPhone 5 + monthly service, Mac laptop and Cinema Display. If you're interested in creating a new kind of education experience and helping people get a better job, send us your resume. Please include in your resume links to your GitHub, personal projects / website, or portfolio if you have them.