Avaaz is seeking a talented UX designer to take the lead in creating and stewarding the look, feel and usability of our website
This is an all-purpose design and creative role requiring a talented candidate to take the lead in creating and stewarding the look, feel and usability of Avaaz.org. Primary day-to-day work will focus on the user experience and design of Avaaz’s constantly evolving digital presence, from creating new products and pages to visual elements like logos and icons. In addition, occasional tasks will involve designing materials for offline campaigns, such as posters, billboards, newspaper ads, stickers, banners, video, motion graphics etc.
- UX and digital design: ability to produce high quality products for web and mobile, including pages, forms and online tools.
- Advertising creative: ability to work with campaigners to develop cut-through advertising concepts and execute them expertly. Design pieces will predominantly be large newspaper advertisements, but will also extend to billboards, online ads etc.
- Photo post-production: ability to select and curate high quality images, touch up images for the Avaaz site and design composite images.
- Print design: ability to lead graphic design of print materials such as an annual report, campaign materials, and merchandise.
- Project management: work with campaigners to develop timeline and resource schedules to ensure projects are delivered to schedule.
- UX experience and instincts: understanding the importance of usability and having an eye for adjustments in the user-flow that could improve website metrics.
- Strong portfolio of work demonstrating a high degree of creativity, diversity and productivity.
- Expert user of Photoshop, and to a lesser extent InDesign and Illustrator.
- Intermediate online skills – understanding of HTML, CSS.
- Experience designing in different languages.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Proactive team player.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple and shifting priorities.
- Video: ability to lead creative concept development, storyboarding, filming and editing of videos and TV commercials.
- Motion graphics: develop professional and creative motion effects for our videos and TV commercials.
Fluency in English is required. Fluency in other languages is an advantage.
Avaaz is a virtual organisation, with most of our work done over email, telephone and Skype. Our staff are based in cities all over the world and meet at team retreats twice per year. Avaaz covers office costs, either to establish a home office or to rent one, and we support staff to house themselves in large partner organisations of Avaaz when preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
A competitive non-profit salary is offered, varying with location and experience. Benefits also range with location, but include 5 weeks paid vacation per year.