First is a venture-funded startup at the intersection of predictive analytics and real estate tech. We identify when and why people will move, and build products to change the game for real estate professionals and consumers.
Our team is focused on shipping great products and driving innovation in a massive industry (2014 realtor commissions were >$69B). We believe in continuous improvement and sharing knowledge - whether through pair programming, speaking at meetups, and eventually open-sourcing parts of our system.
We’re moving fast and ready for a technical leader to join our CTO in building initial product offerings and automating our data platform.
As one of our first engineers, you'll be a senior leader helping guide key architecture and technology decisions. You will reliably scale our data platform to support products and the needs of our data science team. This includes choosing and deploying our server and compute infrastructure (e.g., Ansible, Hadoop, Spark, etc) and building frameworks to support the development of our predictive models.
What you bring to the table
- Passion for startups and building tools that will be used to change the face of real estate
- Generalist mindset, excited to jump into many parts of the stack to ship working software
- 8+ years software development experience; 5+ years experience in Ruby
- Clear, effective communication skills, both written and verbal
- Experience with agile practices, including TDD, continuous delivery, object oriented design, SOLID principles, etc
- Comfort with asynchronous development: pull requests, chat, email, etc
Extra bonus points for
- Experience with graph databases - Neo4j or others
- Operational skills, or willingness to learn - Ansible, Chef, Puppet, etc
- Proficiency in GitHub flow
- Experience with pair programming (remote or in-person)
- Open source contributions, side projects and gems
Why we love it here
- Work with a team that inspires and challenges each other to grow
- Great health benefits: we’ve got you covered with health and dental - we pay 100% of your premiums and 50% for dependents
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Fully loaded development environment: laptop, display, and desk of your choice, 1Gbps Internet speed at your desk at our Durham office
- 15 days paid time off and company paid holidays
- Remote and on-site: work with us in Durham, NC in our American Underground office, or remotely
Please fill out the form below or send us an email at email@example.com and include:
- A quick writeup of who you are as a developer - how you got started, area of the stack you’re most familiar with, what you want to learn next, and what motivates you
- An overview of your work history (resume, LinkedIn, or prose)
- Feel free to add anything else that conveys your interests and abilities -- applications built, open source projects worked on, blog posts written, etc. GitHub, Stackoverflow, and other profiles welcome.
Looking forward to hearing from you!