WARNING! This job is awaiting verification or has expired and may no longer be applicable
Scribd is a top 100 site on the web and one of the very largest sites built using ruby on rails. As one of the first rails sites to reach scale, we've built a lot of infrastructure and solved a lot of challenges to get Scribd to where it is today. We actively try to push the envelope and have contributed substantial work back to the open source community.
Scribd has an agile, startup culture and an unusually close working relationship between engineering and ops. You'll regularly find cross-over work at Scribd, with ops people writing application-layer code and engineers figuring out operations-level problems. We think we're able to make that work because of the uniquely talented people we have on the team.
To allow us to keep scaling, we're now looking to add an experienced operations professional to the team. As a member of Scribd operations, you'll have tremendous ownership and responsibility for one of the web's most popular applications. Because Scribd is a startup, you will wear many hats and have broader responsibility than you would at a larger company.
This role is open to remote employees working from anywhere in the world. Let us know when you apply if you want to work remotely.
What you'll do
- Modify/improve/fix a 150+ growing server farm and infrastructure which is running on top of it
- Keep Scribd.com up and fast
- Bi-directional communication with developers - escalate issues and take care of issues they escalate
- Be a part of 24x7 on-call schedule with other members of the Dev/Ops team
- Work independently and effectively within a team environment to prioritize work load
You should have
- Bachelors degree in CS or equivalent experience
- Related experience with website operations; this includes experience with high volume/high traffic web sites
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment, keeping track of and completing multiple tasks/issues
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong knowledge of most widely-used networking protocols and unix/linux command line tools
- Solid scripting skills
Bonus points for ...
- 3+ Years of solid Linux/UNIX systems engineer/administrator experience
- Hands-on experience with building and maintaining reliable large-scale distributed systems environments
- Strong data analysis and troubleshooting skills
- Strong Ruby/Rails/Shell Scripting skills; experience with a variety of web development frameworks a plus.
- MySQL DBA experience
- Track record of automating processes
- Track record of designing and implementing monitoring and notification systems, metrics and stats collection systems
- HBase/Hadoop deployment/scaling/maintaining experience
- Experience with any of the following technologies/tools: Nginx, HAProxy, Apache, Memcached, Squid, git, Solr, Sphinx, ActiveMQ, Chef, Postfix, Tomcat, Jetty, Glassfish
- Application Info
Please sign in with Google or
GitHub to view this job's application information.
This is necessary to prevent companies from receiving excessive amounts of spam.
Tramcar - Toronto-Waterloo Region Corridor Jobs