Position: Full Stack Rails Developer
Location: San Francisco Bay area or Virtual Office
Reports to: CTO
We are seeking an individual with experience, success, and a high degree
of motivation in managing and developing web and mobile technology
products. We will rely on you to build out the next generation of our
innovative technology platform for surveying workers via their mobile
phones (using Interactive Voice Response technology and other
channels), conducting statistical analysis on supply chain data, generating
reports and web-based dashboards for our clients, and serving insights
back to our users. You will be a key person developing and iterating on
our technology to support the innovative LaborVoices mission. If you
consider yourself a generalist, with an excellent math background, who
learns fast, thrives in a fast-paced development mentality, and wants a
leadership role and a significant piece of a young, small, profitable
startup, read on.
- Develop and customize our voice and web interfaces for collecting
and sharing crowd-sourced data with workers via their mobile
- Develop intuitive web-based dashboard for clients, enabling clients
to easily access and understand critical data on labor conditions
inside their supply chains.
- Integrate LaborVoices with local telephony partners in new
geographies, and ensure that LaborVoices technology continues to
work every time.
- Make periodic improvements to the LaborVoices website, to reflect
the work we’re already doing for customers, and impacts on users.
- Develop the statistical analysis capabilities of the LaborVoices
technology platform, including tools to rate employers and users
based on reliability, and evaluate responses.
- Make key contributions to product and company strategy.
- This position will be a key contributor to our existing Product
Development Team, and will also receive significant support from
Administration, our Operations and Sales Teams, and Contractor
- Identify, recruit, and manage internal and external development
- This role will be our second engineer, and will have wide latitude,
with guidance from the CTO.
Qualifications & Expectations
- Experience in programming, as you’ll be working with our existing
REST APIs and SQL. Objective-C/Swift and Java a plus.
- Organizational skills and experience managing product
development and implementing production-ready technology for
- Familiarity with major telephony APIs such as Twilio, Plivo, etc. a
- Experience in mobile application development.
- Open source software development experience a plus.
- Computer Science degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience growing a development team, or working in a rapidly
growing team, including contract development staff a plus.
We help factory workers around the world vote with their feet for better
working conditions. Since 2010, LaborVoices, Inc., has been dedicated to
increasing transparency in global labor markets, and global supply chains in
particular. The LaborVoices model is based on individual interactions with
workers through their mobile phones, in their native language, to deliver
information on local services available to them and feedback on working
conditions from other workers. LaborVoices polls workers regularly, to
access important information on issues before they become urgent.
LaborVoices is complementary to labor organizing activities, traditional
hotlines, and inspection-based audits.