At Envato, we value people who can roll up their sleeves and get things done while keeping the big goals in sight. As a Development Operations Engineer you’ll be working in a hands on capacity as part of the delivery team to make sure our software and infrastructure work as a single, seamless system.
- In a partnership with the Web Infrastructure Architect and the development team, ensure the creation, configuration and maintenance of our infrastructure is automated and managed in a repeatable way with modern tooling such as Puppet or Chef
- Working closely with the entire delivery team to ensure we’re building systems that solve our customers needs
- Help build and manage the monitoring of our live systems focusing on stability, performance and business effectiveness
- Diagnose and fix performance issues on the marketplace no matter which part of the stack they appear in
- Communicate clearly with both technical and non-technical members of the Marketplace team about proposed changes, their impact, how and when these changes may be delivered.
Desired Skills and Experience
You will have built and managed large scale, web facing systems serving millions of pageviews a month while still supporting many deploys a day. You understand that configuring and managing this scale of infrastructure requires a fully-automated infrastructure provisioning toolset. You need to have a broad knowledge of system administration, networking, databases, security, storage and performance and have a deep technical expertise in at least one of these disciplines.
You align with the goals of the DevOps movement in improving collaboration between the development and operations disciplines.
- Be a nice person
- Have an advanced level of unix operating systems management knowledge
- Has used tools and frameworks for automating infrastructure in a previous role
- Have managed public and private cloud-hosted infrastructure
- Know how to manage and maintain relational database management systems
- Know how to select or build monitoring and logging tools
- Have implemented infrastructure to support a public facing web site handling millions of pageviews per month.
- Have proven experience scaling other high volume/scale web apps
- Communicate well in person and in writing
- Be a curious person committed to continual learning
- Be a natural coach who is able to develop your teammates to reach their potential
- Be on values with Envato’s passionate and supportive culture
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Previous experience designing a system to be robust in a disaster situation
- The ability to provide security and risk assessment and actions for a large e-Commerce site
- Has participated in a culture of shared responsibility between software developers and infrastructure specialists.
- Contribute to Open Source projects
- Past experience in other agile environments
- Network architecture
- Experience with AWS and Rackspace
What we offer
A great set of sites
We now have 8 marketplaces, with over 6.4 million items for sale, and 5 million users. Our biggest marketplace is ThemeForest, which is the clear leader in its space. Our users are engaged and passionate, with our forums generating 20,000 posts a month.
The challenge of scale and speed of change
As a Development Operations Engineer you’ll be working in an environment which is unique in its scale and pace of change in Australia. The core application (written in Ruby on Rails) peaks at around 20,000 requests a minute and handles around 25 million application requests a day. Our development team will typically deploy the entire application 10-15 times per day and we are deploying software-defined infrastructure updates many times a week. Our traffic is 24/7 so there no “quiet periods” for maintenance. All this combined means you are unlikely to find a more challenging role of this kind in Australia.
A great team and culture
- We’re careful about hiring, and have built a team of great devs
- Developers are responsible for features from inception through to them being in the hands of customers. The devs talk directly to customers about what they’re working on
- We do continuous delivery properly: any team member can deploy, and we regularly do several deploys a day
- We publish portions of our code as open source, and contribute back to open source projects we use
- We run weekly retro and education sessions, and constantly encourage our team to improve their craft
- We have a low politics-to-actual-work ratio
- A fantastic culture of creatively minded, hard working people who are passionate about Envato and being part of its growth and success
- Flexible working conditions – we want you to love your work but also your life outside of Envato
- We actively work on creating a safe, inclusive environment free from discrimination
- A fast paced and progressive environment where everyone has regular interaction with teammates and Envato community members from all over the world!
- Read more from our staff about why they love working at Envato by visiting www.envato.com/careers/top-5 and www.jobadvisor.com.au/envato
Who should apply?
We care deeply about diversity at Envato, and welcome applicants of all types, and from all backgrounds. If you think you have the skills and experience needed for this role then we'd like to hear from you. Work in our head office or remote, Australia-wide.