DreamHost is looking to bring on an Engineer that will focus exclusively on web performance and the ability to improve our technical stack, both for end-users and internally.
Your job, if you choose to accept, is to help improve and increase performance for all aspects of DreamHost’s technical stack. From end-user web performance to kernel tuning, your role will be to help provide consistent performance oriented solutions to every aspect of the DreamHost infrastructure.
What’s a normal day look like?! Lemme tell you. You may be asked to investigate why a function in Apache is loading resources slowly, or to design a cluster caching architecture, or deep dive into some WordPress code to see why a theme is performing poorly. Full stack analysis is the name of the game and that is where you come in!
- Work with Development, Systems, and Network Engineering teams to identify and resolve performance related issues.
- Build performance test frameworks and tools, and execute tests to draw out actionable data.
- Design and implement improvements to infrastructure and software based on analysis of test results.
- Delve deeply into the LAMP stack to uncover poor performance at each layer.
Core Technologies in use at DreamHost
- Ruby on Rails
- Ability to manage both infrastructure and application tuning processes.
- Proficient with Varnish, and knowledge of Apache or Nginx.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong understanding of CPU utilization, memory, throughput and latency.
- Demonstrated ability with refactoring code.
- Knowledge of web protocols, networking and Linux systems.
- Knowledge of the Linux kernel.
- SQL or R skills for data mining.
- PHP, Perl, Python programming experience is a big plus.
- Prior experience in a Performance Engineering role in a large scale environment.
- A minimum of 3 years with test automation.
- Experience with operating system monitoring and tuning.
- Experience with WordPress, Drupal, Joomla or other CMS is a plus.
- B.S. in Computer Science/Engineering, or equivalent experience.
*It is DreamHost policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.