About the Team
There are no monoliths here. Each application in our platform has a clear and distinct purpose and all of them are built in house. That means small, clean code bases with little technical debt and lots of flexibility. We use RabbitMQ to send messages about real-world events to other apps which decide whether or not to do something with them. This de-coupled, asynchronous architecture allows us to scale with ease and add or change components as needed. We use a combination of shared gems and RESTful services to share synchronous business logic between our systems.
About the You
We hire engineers with great Product instincts because we are also the Product team. Building great software is a collaborative effort, so we work directly with stakeholders in the business. We deliver products & solutions—not features—because we understand how Stitch Fix works and are trusted to focus our time and effort where they are needed most.
We are looking for an experienced full-stack engineer who has built or worked heavily on a couple of Rails applications and has some other MVC framework experience. You want to learn from an experienced development team and develop your own skills.
You may not have much hands-on product experience but it’s something you are keen to learn because you love talking to your clients & users about what you can build for them. You are interested in how StitchFix works as a business, not just in the technology, and you would like a chance to make it work even better.
We get excited about candidates with…
- Real Tech Fluency--you can build anything with anything, and you probably have several years software development experience with a couple of those years working in Ruby on Rails. You can learn from us, and we can learn from you.
- Great Communication Skills--you aren’t just great at listening, speaking, and writing. You are able to convey complex ideas and information regardless of the medium or situation.
- Product-Centric Thinking--you have opinions about how the product you’re building should work. You dig deep and work with customers, the company, and our executive team to uncover the ideal way to leverage technology to solve problems.
- Self-Directed Working Style--once you’ve got something, we don’t have to worry about it. You have a bias toward action. Our team doesn’t have QA, Project Managers, or Product Managers, so we take ownership of what we build.
- Respect for the Craft--you build software sustainably, using modern techniques. You are always looking for more and better ways to write software, and are willing to share them with your team.
- Respect, Empathy & Humility--you take your work seriously but not yourself. You show everyone respect, regardless of the circumstance. Extra points if you’re already a Stitch Fix superfan!
- Experience working collaboratively as a team--we use GitHub, Heroku, HipChat, Screen Hero, and Blue Jeans to get stuff done online. We’re more interested in your personal process for collaboration than specific technologies, but are always on the lookout for better ways to work.
- Good at prototypes and design discussion--experience using pull requests, one-pagers, or screencasts to create rapid prototypes that demonstrate new features
- Experience with testing and CI--we're working with the usual Ruby gems like Rspec, Capybara and others for unit and feature tests and use CircleCI to bring it all together.
- Experience or interest in distributed, service-oriented architecture--we’re using tools like RabbitMQ, ElasticSearch, and headless HTTP services to scale our team and software. We’re learning as we go, so your experience or keen interest can ensure our systems handle our ever-increasing load.
Why you will love working at Stitch Fix
- Competitive salaries and generous equity.
- A business that trusts and embraces tech.
- A leadership team that wants to do it right and is open to new ideas.
- A startup with a proven business model that’s growing fast.
- Use your preference of tools and hardware.
- A comprehensive health insurance plan, including full dental and vision coverage.
- Fully stocked pantry with your choice of snacks and drinks.
- Sunny offices in downtown San Francisco, downtown Pittsburgh, or your home :)
- Full support for remote work—you get to visit our SF office every couple months to connect with your peers and partners.
About Stitch Fix:
At Stitch Fix we are redefining retail shopping being the first fashion retailer to blend expert styling, proprietary technology and unique product to deliver a shopping experience that is truly personalized for you. Using a unique blend of art and science we deliver a deeply personalized shopping service to our customers. This novel juxtaposition, at once analytic and artistic, technical and adventurous, attracts an extraordinary collection of talented people who are both thinkers and doers. Our diverse workforce has catalyzed enormous company growth over the past three years in terms of customer satisfaction and service efficacy. We would love for you to help us carry on the trend.