Joyent is looking for smart, energetic, technically proficient individuals to join Joyent's global 24/7 Support team as a Customer Support Engineer. We are looking for individuals with deep technical skills who also have a passion for helping customers solve problems and become successful with Joyent products and services. As a member of the Support team, your focus will be on delivering technical support services to Joyent's end-user public cloud customers and our customers using our Smart Data Centre software to run their own private/hybrid cloud services.
The successful candidate will have a strong customer support background and broad technical skills founded in Linux/Unix environments. This role will be home based and requires the ability to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings, specifically Sunday evenings will be a major requirement.
- Provide world-class technical support services to Joyent's public cloud and Elastic Container-Native Infrastructure customers
- Support Joyent Triton™ Elastic Container Infrastructure (Smart Data Center) and Manta customers in the deployment of private and hybrid cloud solutions on their own premises.
- Provide the highest standards of customer support achieving high customer satisfaction ratings, building customer relationships and encouraging customer retention.
- Develop internal and customer facing documentation and knowledge base articles to help improve the standard of support and the customers ability to make best use of Joyent’s products and services
- Be open to flexible working hours possibly including evening and weekend working in the future
Skills & Experience
- Ideal candidates will have 3 to 5 years of experience in system administration, IT support, and/or product implementation and development.
- Joyent will also consider exceptional recent college graduates with technical degrees (computer science, MIS, other science.)
- Ideal candidates will have some experience in working from home on a day to day basis
- Experience delivering professional services at customer premises
- 2 to 3 years in an external customer facing support organization
- Strong “can do”, customer focused attitude centered around making customers problems your problems
- Ability to interact and clearly communicate with both technical and non- technical users using written and spoken English
- Technically savvy, but enjoy working with, communicating with, and building rapport with customers
- Although you will be trained to perform your duties you must have an aptitude for self learning and proactively and independently enhancing your skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and comfortable dealing with both technicians and “C” level staff
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team.
Desired Technical Skills
- Core: (Solid understanding of administering software and system infrastructure) • System administration tasks • O/S: Solaris, Linux • Networking/Connectivity: SSH, SSL • Web: Apache, Mongrel, Hadoop, thin • Databases: MySQL, Postgres, MongoDB, Risk • Storage: NFS, ZFS, NAS
- Languages: (Basic user understanding - more advanced debugging and scaling skills is bonus) • Node.js • PHP • Phython • Ruby • Java
- Additional skills (Not all required - but having background in these helps make an ideal candidate) • Virtualization: Solaris zones, KVM, Xen • Network debugging (traceroute, ipconfig, netstat) • Monitoring (Nagios, Zabbix, Munin) • Windows
Joyent is the high-performance cloud infrastructure and big data analytics company, offering organizations of any size the best public and hybrid cloud infrastructure for today's demanding real-time web and mobile applications.