Position: Full Stack Rails Developer
Location: San Francisco Bay area or Virtual Office
Reports to: CTO
We are seeking an individual with experience, success, and a high degree of motivation in managing and developing web and mobile technology products. We will rely on you to build out the next generation of our innovative technology platform for surveying workers via their mobile phones (using Interactive Voice Response technology and other channels), conducting statistical analysis on supply chain data, generating reports and web-based dashboards for our clients, and serving insights back to our users. You will be a key person developing and iterating on our technology to support the innovative LaborVoices mission. If you consider yourself a generalist, with an excellent math background, who learns fast, thrives in a fast-paced development mentality, and wants a leadership role and a significant piece of a young, small, profitable startup, read on.
- Develop and customize our voice and web interfaces for collecting and sharing crowd-sourced data with workers via their mobile phones.
- Develop intuitive web-based dashboard for clients, enabling clients to easily access and understand critical data on labor conditions inside their supply chains.
- Integrate LaborVoices with local telephony partners in new geographies, and ensure that LaborVoices technology continues to work every time.
- Make periodic improvements to the LaborVoices website, to reflect the work we’re already doing for customers, and impacts on users.
- Develop the statistical analysis capabilities of the LaborVoices technology platform, including tools to rate employers and users based on reliability, and evaluate responses.
- Make key contributions to product and company strategy.
- This position will be a key contributor to our existing Product Development Team, and will also receive significant support from Administration, our Operations and Sales Teams, and Contractor Staff.
- Identify, recruit, and manage internal and external development talent.
- This role will be our second engineer, and will have wide latitude, with guidance from the CTO.
Qualifications & Expectations
- Organizational skills and experience managing product development and implementing production-ready technology for live projects.
- Familiarity with major telephony APIs such as Twilio, Plivo, etc. a plus.
- Experience in mobile application development.
- Open source software development experience a plus.
- Computer Science degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience growing a development team, or working in a rapidly growing team, including contract development staff a plus.
We help factory workers around the world vote with their feet for better working conditions. Since 2010, LaborVoices, Inc., has been dedicated to increasing transparency in global labor markets, and global supply chains in particular. The LaborVoices model is based on individual interactions with workers through their mobile phones, in their native language, to deliver information on local services available to them and feedback on working conditions from other workers. Laborvoices polls workers regularly, to access important information on issues before they become urgent. LaborVoices is complementary to labor organizing activities, traditional hotlines, and inspection-based audits.