We need a developer with a solid understanding of WordPress, Theme coding, and most importantly, the ability to work as part of a team.
Your primary responsibility will be converting layered Illustrator designs to WordPress parent and child themes. Your HTML5 & CSS3 skills will shine as you will also show off optimization and code quality when resolving bugs and issues when they come up.
We practice good coding standards, we build for the future, and we don’t believe in cowboy coding or working in a bubble. We’re looking for thinkers… with talent. We don’t need employees.
What you’ll be doing day-to-day
- Building sites and implementing redesigns, design in Illustrator, on our WordPress-based sites
- Coding features for our sites (both through WP Themes and not) using HTML5/CSS/PHP
- Future-proofing our sites with maintenance fixes, updating features, and rolling out responsive, mobile-friendly platforms
- Conversing, committing, and delivering via Basecamp/Slack/GitHub (in whatever order that is)
- Freedom to explore new technologies/tools for finding solutions to new (and old) problems.
Application Architecture (things you’ll HAVE to know)
- Rock-solid HTML5 & CSS3
- Sass/Bourbon, LESS, etc. (or other CSS pre-processor)
- CSS Frameworks (Bourbon/Neat, Twitter Bootstrap, 960.gs, Blueprint, Foundation, etc… we roll our own, btw)
- Build tools like Grunt & Gulp (we currently prefer gulp.js)
- Heavy PHP Experience (you’ll use this lots)
- Structured Data (gotta satisfy the Googles)
- Advanced understanding of all the cool buzzwords… SEO, Web-standards, accessibility and usability concepts, information architecture, UX & UI design (heavy on the UX)
- Good communication skills & a great can-do attitude (We’re totally serious about this one.)
- A GitHub account or experience with other version control (SVN, CVS, etc… but git/gh is where it’s at)
- You consider yourself a web designer and developer.
- You want to teach as much as learn.
- You have a pixel-perfect design eye with Photoshop/Illustrator skills to match. It’s going to come in super-handy.
- You read sites like SmashingMagazine.com & DigWP.com and actually put tutorials into practice.
- You’ve attended a WordCamp, Meetup, or other industry conference.
- Centrally located in downtown Houston, free employee parking
- Coed work environment, casual dress
- Cool office perks (free sodas & coffee, ping pong table, snacks, etc.)
- Generous salary considerations & full benefits
What We Value
We love to work as a team but office hours are flexible. Producing is more important than meeting a “9 to 5″ schedule. We understand there are moments when you need to isolate yourself to concentrate so working from home is permitted and encouraged. We like to have a good time and minimize stress with good in-office coffee, ping pong, lounge/reading time and regular happy hours. We work hard and meet realistic deadlines. What good is delivering a poor product early?
- 401K (up to 6% matched)
- Medical, dental, and vision is covered by CMN for the employee
- Health Savings Account (HSA) and Federal Spending Account (FSA) available
- Parking/Public transportation (depending office location)
- Paid Time Off
- Gym-membership reimbursement
- flexible schedule
- opportunities to work remotely