Every day, political organizations and businesses use TargetSmart’s highly targeted data products and services to analyze, understand, and communicate directly, effectively, and accurately with customers and voters.
TargetSmart seeks an experienced software engineer to join us in building service platforms for large scale data access, data processing, and data science. These software solutions are powered by TargetSmart’s industry leading political and consumer data products.
A TargetSmart software engineer works on a variety of software development projects. These individuals should be versatile and eager to tackle new problems with an innovative and practical mindset. TargetSmart Software Engineers work as “full stack engineers”, i.e., backend, frontend, and everything in between.
- Work with stakeholders to solidify use-cases and specifications
- As appropriate, develop throw-away simulations or prototypes to confirm specifications
- Work within established guidelines to implement, document and test features
- Refine and refactor code towards improved quality, performance, maintainability and readability
- Identify and resolve defects. Seek to improve user satisfaction
- Document and preferably automate deployment procedures (DevOps)
- Work closely with the CTO and stakeholders to estimate, prioritize, and schedule development related tasks
- Understand details of TargetSmart’s services, data, and upstream vendors
- Identify and avoid common security vulnerabilities and exposures
- Collaborate and clearly communicate ideas and solutions. Participate in code review processes, both offering and receiving constructive criticism. Foster an environment of learning and growth.
- Review existing features, architectures, and deployment strategies to identify strategies for improvements
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of technology standards, industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices
- Effective written and verbal communication
- Relentless problem solving
- Continuous learning and self-improvement
- BS or greater in Computer Science or related technical discipline or equivalent practical experience
- A foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms,and software design
- Solid typing skills plus ability to efficiently edit text, e.g., apply macros/scripts for repetitive tasks
- Solid coding skills. Experience with multiple languages and paradigms, e.g, OO, functional. Fluency with both dynamically-typed and statically-typed languages
- Large systems software design and development experience
- Knowledge of Unix/Linux, Windows Server, scripting and deployment patterns
- Exposure to PaaS, IaaS, and DevOps deployment strategies
- Database design and optimization, SQL, ETL tools and patterns
- Knowledge of network protocols and web programming. Solid grasp of technology and frameworks commonly used for web applications and services
- Understanding of common security vulnerabilities and exposures
- You prefer working remotely. Your lifestyle and residence are compatible with remote work.
- Leave your mark at the intersection of technology, data-driven political campaigns and targeted marketing solutions
- Significant growth opportunities
- Opportunity to work at home
- Be a key member of a small and growing team
- Competitive benefit/compensation package
About TargetSmart Communications
TargetSmart is a leading provider of political data and technology that enables campaigns and organizations to successfully communicate with large audiences, personalize outreach, and create lasting relationships. Our superior politically-focused, consultative approach combines consumer data, databases, data integration and consulting solutions for personalized multichannel marketing strategies. TargetSmart leverages over 25 years of experience in data management to deliver high-performance, reliable data products and solutions.
The job profile reflects the assignment of essential job functions, though additional functions may exist. This profile is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of all work activities, duties or responsibilities. TargetSmart reserves the right to assign or reassign work activities, duties and responsibilities as needed for reasonable accommodations and business purposes.