Does taking an existing Android app and pushing what can be done on the Android platform sound like a fun challenge? Do you love nailing down the design of features so they work in the way Android users expect? Does working with a team that values elegance of design resonate with you? If so, we’d love to talk with you.
When I Work is hiring an Android mobile app developer. Mobile is a huge part of what we do, and you’ll help take our Android development efforts to new heights! It will be a fun ride.
What You’ll Be Doing
You will be implementing exciting new mobile capabilities and collaborating with, mentoring, and learning from your peer Android developers. You’ll also work with our iOS development team to trade ideas and push each other to new levels of mobile awesomeness.
You should have a vision for what it means to build amazing apps on Android, across different screen sizes, device types, and OS versions. You should have an eye for design, and a desire to build things The Right Way.
Experience and Skills Needed
- Experience with a wide range of Android SDK versions, from 4.0 on up.
- Experience working with existing app code and refactoring to awesome-ness.
- Knowledge of a variety of Android devices, from cheap knock-off phones to the latest hotness and everything in between.
- An understanding of REST and JSON, and knowledge of how to utilize REST on an Android client.
- Past experience with automated testing of your code.
- Some degree of User Experience ability - we have designers on staff, but want you to have a vision on how to make the best Android apps that we can.
- Experience implementing useful caching, scaling, and performance improvements on Android.
- A customer-focused attitude, with an ability and willingness to work with customers to diagnose and fix problems.
- Experience with GitHub and git as a version control tool.
- Working knowledge of the basics of agile (backlogs, estimation and progress updates).
- Experience working with Android Studio, preferably on Mac OS/X, as well as basic shell script development for small tasks.
What Would Be Awesome To Have
- Contacts in the Android development community, so that you’re up on the latest best practices and technology.
- Experience with Material design and implementation of efforts to convert existing apps to conform to the design standard.
- Some working knowledge of iOS development (so you can discuss concepts with our iOS developers).
- Experience with Gradle build scripts and custom implementations of Gradle tasks for build automation.
- Experience developing with other developers that are remote (e.g. through open source contributions, a former remote position, etc).
- Experience with continuous integration, specifically TravisCI, and how it is used with the Android SDK.
- The ability to read and understand PHP (the language of our API and web framework).
- A strong vision for what you think good Android apps can be, coupled with a willingness to work with product, sales and marketing teams to understand their needs.
What’s In It For You
- Medical and dental benefits
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Remote work environment … work where you work best
- Dynamic and dedicated team
- Data/Cell (internet) stipend
- Casual dress code
- Most of all smart and driven team members that love to collaborate, seek feedback, and improve
Our home office in Minneapolis/St Paul, MN but you can work remotely anywhere within the US. All applicants must already be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer.
Sound Like a Good Fit?
Check out our core values (http://wheniwork.com/about). If they excite you, we’d love to talk!