Think you can handle root@mozilla? Know your way around Linux and application deployment strategies better than your own house? Is it your mission to help deliver the best user experience possible for the most widely-used open source applications in the world?
Mozilla’s Services Operations Team is looking for an ambitious Operations Engineer. If you prefer the phrase DevOps, so be it. You'll need solid Linux/UNIX skills and experience with standard web application stacks (LAMP, LAMPy, Node.js, etc). You'll also need to be able program with a strong grasp of deployment challenges. You'll be expected to provide hands-on technical engineering of our ever-growing server and application environments across multiple global data centers, and AWS.
Most importantly, you'll be an integral part of the team handling the infrastructure responsible for delivering Mozilla’s back-end services (such as Sync, Persona, and Marketplace) to tens of millions of Firefox, and soon Firefox OS, users.
- Maintenance of our core server infrastructure, physical and virtual, which includes helping to scale our back-end services from tens to hundreds of millions of clients.
- Support, tuning, maintenance, and documentation of our operating environment including builds, code deployment, patch management, and troubleshooting
- Write, maintain, and expand automation scripts, metrics and monitoring tooling, and orchestration recipes. We have a lot in bash, Ruby, Perl, and Python scripts which you will be asked to contribute to, though you’re welcome to write new scripts in whatever you feel is best for the task.
- Work with product engineering to ensure code is production ready.
- Be a 2nd-tier escalation point for Mozilla Services problems.
- Collaboration with QA, Security, and Engineering for coordinated code releases.
- You must know how computers actually work.
- Experience & passion supporting a production infrastructure.
- Solid scripting knowledge (Python, Ruby, shell).
- Automation, automation, automation.
- Config management and orchestration experience (Puppet, Chef, CFEngine, etc.).
- Passion to automate and document everything.
- Ability to troubleshoot complex issues quickly and effectively, and, just as importantly, know when escalation is appropriate.
- Monitoring / metrics experience, including plug-in/check script writing and modification. Nagios, Ganglia, Graphite, and/or Rocksteady experience a plus.
- Knowledge of MySQL, PostgreSQL, SMTP, DNS & LDAP.
- Affinity for open environments that encourage education, cooperation and teamwork
- Embrace guidance from more senior team members
- ~2 years experience administrating servers in a lights-out data center infrastructure
- Must be ready, willing, and able to participate in occasional shared load of data center racking, stacking, and configuration duties.
- B.S. in Computer Science would be lovely, but real-world experience is preferred.
Mozilla is a global organization, and most roles are available for home-based work, but if you are near one of our offices, we're happy to provide you with a desk and the company of talented peers.
Possible locations for this position are home-based or in-office in Canada, the U.K., France, New Zealand, or the U.S., or home-based in Australia, Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands, Poland, Ireland, or Sweden.