We are an international team of developers, designers, QA, and deployment engineers working on open source web applications to manage Linux servers.
We love to learn, are passionate about our applications, and our prime goal is to create a great experience to our users.
We are looking for talented and passionate engineers who want to work in an open source environment in order to grow our team.
- You will ship code for SUSE Manager, a web-based Systems Management application used by hundreds of companies across the world.
- You will influence the future of the code base, working with upstream (the Spacewalk project) and influencing design and implementation decisions.
- You will also work with users to identify problems, turn them into good bug reports, track progress, and provide feedback back to users.
Qualifications & Required Skills
- You are passionate about creating excellent software which meets the goals of its users.
- You are experienced with Java, its ecosystem, build tools, servlet containers, debugging techniques, performance tuning, etc. (eg. Tomcat, Struts, Hibernate) o Experience with High Availability and scaling of applications is a plus.
- You are comfortable with some scripting language. Bonus if it is Python because there is a lot of it in the backend code and client agents.
- Team player. We have built a great working environment and we look only to make it better. o We expect you should be autonomous and work in a results oriented style. o You feel comfortable working in an agile development model.You are proficient in English.
- You understand the open source development processes and culture.
- You are comfortable with code reviews, critiques, and patches. In both directions.
- You're passionate about continuous integration, test driven development, and are used to write automated tests for your code. (Jenkins, JUnit, Selenium, Cucumber, etc.)
- You understand the Linux Operating System and its low level interfaces (e.g. C, POSIX), development tools (gcc, gdb, git). Familiarity with packaging software for Linux (eg. rpm, deb) is a plus.
- Practical experience with databases (Postgresql, Oracle), schema design, and performance tuning.
- Direct contact with representatives of free/open source software projects worldwide.
- Regular hackathons (Hack Weeks) and workshops on the company, department, and team levels.
- Five weeks vacation. (*)
- Contributions to pension insurance or capital life insurance. (*)
- Other common employee benefits (food coupons, health care, sports and cultural activities). (*)
- Free beverages. (*)
- We know how to party.
- We celebrate success.
(*) Reference for the example benefits is the office in Germany. They may vary across hiring locations.
Please submit the results of the following challenge together with your application (preferably in one single pdf). You can attach the files, provide a link to the location where the solution is hosted or reference a Github Pull Request, depending on the challenge.
- Install Spacewalk nightly (http://www.spacewalkproject.org/) with PostgreSQL backend on a Virtual Machine
- Configure any kind of High Availability replication for the PostgreSQL RDBMS, making sure the correct server is used in case of failover at least for the Java portion of the Web UI, or propose a configuration based on a pooling server (pgpool, pgbouncer…);
- Document the steps needed to implement the above together with a discussion over advantages and disadvantages of the chosen approach. Ideally, use vagrant (https://www.vagrantup.com/) or Salt.
About SUSE SUSE®, a pioneer in open source software, provides reliable, interoperable Linux and cloud infrastructure solutions that give enterprises greater control and flexibility. More than 20 years of engineering excellence, exceptional service and an unrivaled partner ecosystem power the products and support that help our customers manage complexity, reduce cost, and confidently deliver mission-critical services. The lasting relationships we build allow us to adapt and deliver the smarter innovation they need to succeed—today and tomorrow. For more information, visit us at www.suse.com.